Wednesday, July 30, 2014

New School Resolution

Here we are...New School Year's Eve.  It is the night before I welcome 21 new, impressionable second graders into my classroom.  I am so excited, and at the same time, very anxious.  The out of control class nightmares started last week.  Am I the only one that gets those?

I am also thrilled that I will be introducing Whole Brain Teaching in my classroom this year.  I literally stumbled upon Whole Brain Teaching in April of 2014 when I was looking for new strategies to help my struggling readers.  I really liked the resources and information available on the website: www.wholebrainteaching.com.  I was trying to finish a very challenging year so I did not have time to read about it further.  I vowed to learn more over summer vacation.

My summer vacation was quite short this year because of our challenging winter weather in Indiana.  I didn't have a chance to start researching until July.  About that time, I saw a post on Facebook about applying to become a WBT intern.  I decided that even with my limited knowledge, I was going to apply and hope for the best.  I was THRILLED when I was accepted as an intern.

My first project has been to read the book:


I have made it through the majority of the book.  I am far enough along that I feel like I can successfully launch it tomorrow in my classroom.

The first thing my kids will do tomorrow is to create a New School Resolution.  We will attach it to party hats and then do a New School Year countdown similar to what happens on New Year's Eve.  I created my party hat today to give the kids an example.  What is my New School Resolution?


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on starting your blog, starting WBT, and starting an exciting new school year! Wahoo! I look forward to following your Journey this year, Allison!
    Nancy
    Mrs. Stoltenberg's Second Grade Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. WBT is so much fun! I love the idea you have to make a New School Year Resolution. Cute idea! I look forward to seeing what you do with Whole Brain Teaching!

    ReplyDelete