Monday, September 1, 2014

What I Am Struggling With...

There are a few things in WBT that I am having a difficult time grasping.  The first comes with the scoreboard.  I am doing my best to keep it between no more than 3 tally marks in either column.  However, it does not seem like it is motivating my students very much.  They have only earned extra recess once, and we have been in school for 22 days.  They have had more time off than anything, or we are oftentimes breaking even.  I thought that once they finally earned the extra recess it would motivate them more, but it has not.

Something else we are having a difficult time with is that when we do Class? Yes! I want 100% of students dropping everything and looking at me.  Is that expectation too high?  I don't think so, but we are not quite there yet.

The biggest struggle I have is mashing WBT with our school-wide behavior plan.  It is an expectation from my school that I use this behavior plan.  It involves a clip up chart where students clip up for good behavior and clip down for good behavior.  With each clip up, a child earns a paw that is entered into a basket that can be drawn at the end of the week.  The class can earn a paw that is entered into a basket that can also be drawn at the end of the week.  If students are drawn, they get their picture taken.  If classes are drawn, they earn a reward.  Here is a picture of the clip up chart in my classroom:


How do I incorporate this clip up chart with WBT?  How do I use the scoreboard and use this chart?  I am feeling a bit overwhelmed trying to use both.  Does anyone else struggle with an expectation their school has with WBT?  I would love to hear how you handled it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allison, I work with the scoredboart and it is very motivating. Check my sept post "learning to play playing to learn", it might give you an idea. "easypiecyteaching.blogspot.com" Hope it can help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison,
    How about you use the clip chart as more of a Super Improvers chart than a behaviour chart - avoid the clips moving down part, just praise great effort, ideas or improvement in work - those things deserve a ''paw" . Any "negatives" can be for your scoreboard - a quick reminder to everyone because it is pretty isolating seeing your name moving down away from your classmates. It's hard to feel good about trying hard when you can see your failure so publicly.
    With your scoreboard, you might find that your kids will become more motivated if you let them get up a bit of a lead early. Remember you decide what the points are for and it doesn't have to be the whole class who are earning the points each time - "Wow, look how quickly Max was ready! Everyone have a point!" - if they really get into the "Oh Yeah" for that point whack on another for team spirit! :-)

    ReplyDelete